Saturday 29 March 2008

Lost Dreams

 
In the USA apparently it's tradition for University Professors to give a Final Lecture in which they tell their students their last recommendations on life and living it.  Here's a typical one from a Professor with terminal cancer.  It's about achieving childhood dreams and overcoming obstacles in life:
 
 
 
It made me try to think of dreams and hopes that I had as a child, and because I've always been handicapped by a lack of imagination, I could recall very very few.  The main one I recall most clearly was hoping for 2 or 3 years that my brother would come back from the dead, either as a result of my fervent prayers which I said several times every day and wrote out in every bible, prayer and hymn book I came across or because some mistake had been made and that the little body my parents had identified was another 10 year old boy, someone else's brother.
 
Another dream was to become an adopted child of the Sioux, ranging the prairies on my spotted pony and becoming familiar with the ways of the wild, perhaps as an adult metamorphosing into a wise woman who knew the uses and locations of plants with magical properties and to whom the wildest of animals was a familiar friend.
 
Well my brother never came back which turned me from a firm believer into a trying-to-be believer in prayer.
 
As for the Sioux, I've never met one and living in Shropshire I don't hold out much hope now.  I did learn to ride and altho I loved riding I ended up with a buggered coccyx.  Sioux women I'm guessing didn't jounce about going 'Owww, ooooooh, faakinell my arse hurts' and so that predoomed dream died the death.  I've tried growing herbs reputed to have medicinal qualities and making herbal remedies.  Like the heroine I am I've always tried them out on myself first.  I can therefore claim to have discovered and manufactured a guaranteed herbal slimming potion - you would lose 5lbs a day but when you're literally glued to the lavatory pan 20 hours out of 24 being slim doesn't have the same appeal somehow.
 
That's about it for me - as I said I lack any real imagination. 
 
What about you? Did you have any childhood dreams and did you achieve them?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well my childhood dreams were a) to be an astronaut b) to marry someone who could buy me a fridge, freezer and washing machine (it was twin tubs when i was that young) and c) to be an artist...Oh and i also never wanted to live away from being by the sea...So far i have been to Art school and obtained a degree in craft & design, bought my own white goods and i have always lived by the sea...Sadly i have never managed to become an astronaut...However IF i ever had the dosh i would happily pay to become a space tourist LOL   Caff xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Nasty  the lower vertibrae paining.  It is to many, one of the hazards of riding...touching wood or a nice soft Spanish leather saddle I have not suffered the ail.
bareback is also without problems (two pair of big knickers preferable of course) Horse do sweat so.

Of wishing to be a Sioux Indian  ....Three maybe four years ago I was blood sistered to an Apache (living pro tem in Boston USA whilst her son studied law...and then back to the reservation(a cause of mine)

Her name is Coyote Feathers... She sent me many gifts  facial lotions made from plants etc..One day arived re postie man a beautiful qwilt she had made (it still hangs on my wall)

She made  them daily/monthly in patches, as a diary of her life. She sent me her 1997 one and it had amidst other beautious things pon it, bleached coyote bones....Coyote bones being very important to Apache females.

Coyote Feathers was the most intelligent woman I had ever known or probably will know.  She emailed lengths of wallpaper mails to me.....My energy drained in replies.. Coyote could be brilliantly lovely or wickedly nasty. I was forbidden to post or be friends with anyone else from that message board.

She was, mabe still is a heroin addict...This knowledge  learned  after the third year of our friendship.   I of course taken aback....She fizzled out the friendship due to the intervention of a UK 'driving me mad' male I asked Coyote how to be rid of him...hahahaha She took him over and a nasty nasty 'Goodbye Sister of Robins' eneded the friendship  The guy I am sure posts on GPN message board occasdsionally. Coyote was top perched on a message board and gave no time to anyone.  She read my posts and I had somehow zoomed into her past life thus her friendship to me alone...and the guy wanted so much to be friended by her.  Thus their 'cybering' released my time.  

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be a fighter pilot.  As this was in 1941 and I was six, this dream was short-lived.
Bunny.