Sunday 26 November 2006

My Shameful Secret :O/

 
I've done it.  I've gone and succumbed to something bad.  Really bad.  But you know what?  I was driven to it! 
 
Even before Noah got the wink from on high, I've wanted a canoe.  Not one of those little lurid coloured kayaks, but a canoe.  A real canoe,  Something big enough to carry both me and a picnic basket and a fishing rod, a radio, camera, books, and from time to time a companion.  Every year I've put it on my Christmas List and for a long time now it's actually been the only thing on my list.
 
My husband is a generous and loving man.  He's a generous and loving man who can't swim.  He doesn't want to go in any canoe, he doesn't want to go on a canoe with me especially, and he doesn't want me to go in a canoe alone.  A new anxiety that he's expressed is that he wouldn't want me to risk the dog's life in a canoe.  My dog was born to swim, unlike my husband who's taken half a century to learn how to paddle without fretting.  And I still think he's just putting a brave face on it so that Connie doesn't laugh at him.
 
Anyway, in 21 hours I may actually own a canoe at long loooong last.  It could be well after Christmas before my husband finds out tho and it'll take another Flood before he gets in it without being sandbagged first.
 
He's never going to know that I've registered with Ebay tho - that's far too dark a secret to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sat here dead jealous, not that I'd have the guts for going on a river but I'd canoe near the edge lolol.  Hope you have many happy hours and of course pics would be nice :) Rache

Anonymous said...

oh I'm with youir husband on this one completely!!"!"!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jayne Im with you ,and Ratty ,there is nothing quite as nice as messing around on the river ...love Jan xx