Saturday 3 November 2007

Who's that knocking at my door?

 
This morning we were visited by officers from HM Customs & Immigration.  Armed with a survey map they asked whether we owned the paddock and when we confirmed that they asked if we could show them where the runway strips were.  On their map our paddock and the adjoining field constitute an airfield and they needed to ascertain whether it was in use. 
I was very tempted to ask them if they thought I'd be sweeping out my own courtyard if I were making bags of dosh by providing landing facilities for planes full of illegal immigrants but I thought it best not to push it - an orange jumpsuit would ruin my 'hamlet cred' at Evensong.  So off we went, me in wellies, they in smart town shoes, striding through piles of horse manure until they were quite sure that the ponies weren't eating concrete.
 
It makes a change from people knocking at the door and asking for 3lb of Bramleys I suppose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm strange visitors indeed ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they have intentions of reopening the landing strip.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Was it an airfield back during WW1 or WW2???? Seems incredibly daft to go and check it out in person when an ariel look could have sorted that out...Also pretty daft of them not to have suitable footwear on them <g>