Monday 5 November 2007

Quack quack quack

 
When I was a young woman I developed plantain warts on my chin.  They were virtually flat, small, and the same colour as the rest of my chin but I was very self-conscious about them.  I had pills and creams from my GP and twice had them 'freeze-burned' off in hospital.  I can't tell you how much good it did my self-image to have a bandaged suppurating chin.  Nothing worked.  At my final appointment when I refused to have them 'frozen off' again I was told that the consultant had no doubt that I'd fallen victim to warts due to my resistance being lowered by the stresses of being a working mother of small children.  So nur nur to me.
 
I also suffered from very severe headaches which nothing could touch. When I almost walked under a bus because I'd lost all peripheral vision and hadn't quite twigged that I had I was taken to A&E and seen by an eye consultant as an emergency.  He told me that I had migraines, and that the cause was stress due to my being a working mother of small children.  Stop working, take a holiday and you'll have no more headaches.  I still need to take daily sanomigran two decades later as a prophylactic.
 
One of my children had hearing problems.  Her school denied it and said it was entirely behavioural. I took her to the doctor who said that her hearing was fine but that she was doubtless attention-seeking because she was a small child with a working mother.  [Eventually in despair I took her to a child psychiatrist.  He told me it was a waste of time and to bring her back when she could hear.  When she eventually had her own (peripatetic) teacher for the deaf he told me she was the most intuitive lipreader he'd ever come across.]
 
So when I was a young woman the stock response from frustrated medics was that all women's health issues were due in some part to the inevitable stresses of continuing to work after having children.
 
Now it's smoking and before any of you nod in agreement that smoking is the cause of all human ills just wait - within 5 years the cause of all that's bad will be eating the 'wrong' food. 
 
You may be interested to know that in preparation for the government's case for banning smoking, all health stats where the patient had smoked at some point during their life was designated as 'smoking related'.  So if you smoked for 6 months as an adolescent and broke your leg 30 years later, then you're one of those stats. 
And it'll do you no good leaving out the buns and bacon from now on - they've got your number and they'll be using it against you sometime soon.
 
Doctors?  Bandwagon jumpers the lot of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took 5 years when i was a teenager to find the cause of my migraines...As a small child i had lots of tummy aches with no reason so the doctor always said...Eventually at 12 i started getting severe headaches as well and at 13 the doctor decided it was migraine...When i was little they said it was psychosomatic (sp) and that i didn't want to go to school...Which my mum knew was rubbish because i loved school...It wasn't until i had my own kids and my daughter had tummy aches that i learnt about stomach migraine...Which on reflection is what i had as a kid...I was extremely lucky with the boys and no-one pooh poohed at me and suggested that they were attention seeking or i was an attention seeking parent...Garath was diagnosed promptly and no-one ever said it was just behavioural...Mind you as he didn't speak it was blatently obvious there was a problem...Mikey they said at the SEN nursery his problems were behavioural...I said funny there was nowt wrong with his behaviour until he came here..He didn't like the teacher <g> Am really lucky in that we have an excellent GP who doesn't blame smoking, food or anything else for stuff...This has caused problems with kerry moving away from home...She can't find a GP who lives up to what she is used to getting...She gets full blown migraines now but we've not found what causes them...Garath gets them too and no cause that we can find unless it is stress related...Mine are caused by onions, garlic and anything related to those

Anonymous said...

You wait till you get to be my age ,it is all age related then ,and you keep hearing how weaqre all living too long ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Plantain warts? Were they something like plantar warts (which are on the plantar, or sole of the foot) or more like plantains, which are tropical. banana-like fruits?