Friday 11 August 2006

In the garden this morning

Chatting this morning in  Book Club Chat I was bewailing the effect of today's strong winds on my cardoons and said I'd go out, take a pic and post here:

En masse:

Preview

Individual:

Preview

You can't tell from these pictures but the plant is - or was before the wind struck - 8 foot tall.  Cardoons are in fact a vegetable.  The leaves are stripped of their outer surface and lightly poached.  I have no idea what they taste like but I doubt the flavour is any recompense for losing the flowers.

While I was out I took a few more photos;

Weeds:

Preview

Dahlia:

Preview

Tomatoes:

Preview

And finally one of my favourites, 'Toyshop' sunflowers:

Preview

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture of the cardoons ,I do know the flower, but not its name, I love the 'weeds 'those poppys are lovely ,are you going to have a market stall for all your tomatos? great chatting to you ,and thanks for your patience  .....

Anonymous said...

are you going to have a market stall for all your tomatos.............

I have 3 times as many plants, 10 foot tall and absolutely loaded with fruit in my polytunnel.  I'm making tomato sauce and freezing chopped tomatoes for winter soups.  I have people saving me suitable bottles for sauce across the UK  :O)

Anonymous said...

thanks Jane
Tomatoes outside................wow...............

Anonymous said...

Your dahlias are great and I love those red and whites, very much like a painting I'm fond of.  People are having trouble getting tommy's to go red I hear.

Cardoons are wonderful too........never knew that was what they were called or their usage.  You've garden treats everywhere, lovely to see. Rache

Anonymous said...

Fabulous.  Very good photos.