Thursday 1 June 2006

He's really a lovely boy except for the killing

Early this morning I noticed my cat Dennis acting in an unusually lively manner, twisting his body madly from side to side and rolling on his back in an odd way.  When I went over to have a closer look at him I saw that what was causing his excitement was the body of a young stoat that he'd caught and killed.  Stoats, even youngsters, are very fast and very agile whereas Dennis as a ten year old is somewhat more of a lurk in the rhododendrons type of hunter.  His usual (daily) prey is voles and mice altho on one celebrated occasion he came home with a rat almost as large as himself.  He's a natural killer but also the sweetest natured cat you might wish for. 
 
I daresay most murderers families say the same of them tho
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey well done Dennis.
Getting a stoat is no mean feat!

Anonymous said...

Dennis is very like our Bert,who caught many of the fish in a nieghbours pond !they didnt tell me until after he died ..........Jan xx