Thursday 15 June 2006

Almost a miracle

 
Yesterday I took my dog for a walk in the vicinity of Colemere which is one of my favourite haunts on warm summer days because if I get hot I can shuck off my bibntucker and have a quick dip.  I was crossing a very marshy area and came across acres of purple orchid, looking from a distance for all the world like a field of mauve lupins they were such large flower spikes.  I've never seen anything like it and stood for ages in astonished wonderment at the unexpected profusion. 
Turning towards the mere I noticed a large blue cloud hovering about 4' from the water and drifting from side to side with the breeze.  My first thought was that maybe it was some effluence given off by that vile blue algae altho the mere isn't known for that.  Once close enough I could see that it was a mass hatching of blue damsel flies.  I've never seen such a beautiful phenonomen before. 
 
I would say it was an afternoon of natural miracles except...........  I'd forgotten to take my camera 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a shame ,no camera,isnt it allways the way .........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

wow that must have been amazing - you were very lucky!

Anonymous said...

And here's me proud of a picture of one Orchid. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! what a lovely thing to see, and drat!! at no camera.  Next time you take the bibntucker off, grab the camera on your way out :) Rache