Friday 28 July 2006

Me, busy? Nahh

I've been very neglectful of my journal lately, mostly because I've spent at least half each week with my daughter and her children, helping out on the domestic front and getting maximum cuddles with Felix.  We've also had visitors staying over here in Shropshire to entertain and at the same time we've been sorting out a house we're selling 100 miles away - sale completion next week and after delays caused by the first sale falling through at the last minute and then more delays with our new purchaser's paperwork it's been much more than a bit stressful. 
We also had a much loved 'adopted' Uncle die and I hope to write a bit about him soon, once I can do it without getting too sad.
 
There's been lots of work on the garden of course, and my new polytunnel is a demanding mistress.  This first year I'm growing my Dad's old favourites in memory of him - he'd be chuffed if he knew it, altho he'd be sure to tell me exactly where I was going wrong.  But there's going to be a huge tomato harvest - in fact it began about 3 weeks ago and very soon we'll be getting tired of eating mounds of fresh tomatoes every day and I'll be busy freezing chopped tomatoes and making both tomato soup and sauce because we simply cannot bear the sickly Heinz rubbish and even organic has far too much sugar.  Then there are the peppers which are dark red, peppery and sweet, yummy. 
Finally I'm doing exactly as my Dad did every year and growing some white incurved 'show' chrysanthemums.  I'm doing it from memory of watching him and for the same purpose - to take to the cemetary in memory of my brother who died from injuries received in a RTA when I was 8 and he 10.
 
So that's my summer so far except I also have been doing a heck of a lot of nothing cos it's toooooooooooo hot!  :O)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something wistful and sad about this entry............

Anonymous said...

There is something wistful and sad about this entry............

I guess that's the mention of three deceased people who were and still are very dear to me.  It doesn't matter how long ago some losses happened, the sense and sadness of their absence doesn't diminish don't you find?
It comforts me to do things which bring the memory of them closer, like growing far too many tomatoes and the white chrysants.

Anonymous said...

As well as sad, there is happy ,lots of cuddles with Felix ,you sound very busy with the garden and helping your daughter ,lucky girl to have you ,your fruit and veg project sound very interesting ,Isuspect we are about to have glut of tomatoes too .............Jan xx   http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss Fairy.  The garden must be a dream to walk through.......you can never have enough tomatoes :)  The chystanths sound a wonderful sight, yer Dad would have been proud. Rache