Monday 3 July 2006

If you go down to the woods today......

I walked my dog this evening as the day began to cool a little and we went to the woods seeking dappled shade.  I was meandering along, pooch rooting in the bracken, and I was smelling the the scent of honeysuckle wafting in the warm breezes and thinking about this and that, the garden, my new baby grandson, the chocolate cake I made which was waiting in the fridge for my pud and then horror - as I passed along the very edge of the trees where there were dark and gloomy glades beneath the conifers there came another smell, a stink, replacing the sweet smell of woodbine.  I know the smell of putrefaction and something in there was dead and rotting.  I've been telling myself ever since that it can only have been a defunct badger or maybe a fox but who can know without braving up and returning with spade in hand?
It'll be a long while before I walk that path alone again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should tell someone ............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

hm........investigate with company.............

Anonymous said...

Eeewww doesn't sound pleasant.... what a way to ruin a great moment.   Is it worth having someone investigate?  
d

http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/