Thursday 7 August 2008

Lazy days of summer.

I've had a busy day today, mostly owing to crops ripening.  I've made and frozen 2 ice cream containers of rattatouille made from all organic home grown red onions, garlic, tomatoes, yellow and green courgettes, orange peppers and purple aubergines.  Then I picked a backbreaking 10lbs of blackcurrants and made a litre of blackcurrant cordial and 4 pints of sorbet.  My kitchen tops got so splattered with concentrated blackcurrant juice that they look like they have some dread disease and I doubt they will ever recover.

In the garden Gyp discovered the most gross humungous caterpillar, exactly the length of my index finger and at least as fat.  It was an unbelievably fast mover but I managed to get it onto my husbands cap brim long enough to take a pic.  It's the caterpillar of that equally horrifying moth I found in the kitchen sink a month or so ago.  Crap pic but I think it still conveys the horror.

We also have a very busy underground nest of digger wasps.  The local authority pest control man is coming out tomorrow to get rid of them as we have Grace and her little friend here from Sunday and the last thing I need is two tots with fat stung legs.  £34.50 it's going to cost, isn't that disgraceful?

We are inundated with teensy little frogs, some of them a hundred yards from their pond and one poor little thing we found drowned in the pets' courtyard water bowl.

No comments: