Wednesday 16 July 2008

Summer is a comin.......going, going, gone.

 
Yesterday was summer!  Okay, it's over now but it was great to have a hot day.  A view from the back garden:
 
View from the courtyard gate:
 
We spent the morning working in the garden, in my case giving the orchard its first strim since December - absolutely knackering, especially the 4th time I went over it.  The trees now look as if they're ankle deep in chaff.  I'm thinking about burning it off.  My hub is thinking about having me committed <g>
 
But my morning slog was not so knackering that I couldn't find the energy for a long walk up in the hills behind Pystill Rhaydr in the early evening altho half way up I did wonder whether the rewards would be sufficient compensation for the pain in my calfs.  Steep barely describes it, but once I was up there, fantastic. 
 
There's absolutely nothing as wonderful as being in a beautiful place with not one soul nor one habitation nor one road in sight.  Ravens, whitears, sheep and me. 
 
Up near the top, miles from any farm I came across an old sheep dip.  Work related structures fallen into disuetude as this sheep dip has always make me think of the lives of the men who used them, long gone from the hills and maybe lost at Mafeking, the Somme or in some Japanese prison camp:
Mind, when it comes to summers they had the best of it - ask any oldie!  :O)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really like the pic of the landscape through the gate...It gives it a lovely frame

Anonymous said...

Gosh I'd be in heaven, it's gorgous.  Going for a walk would have to start at sunrise.......and you wouldn't see me again till the cows came home :)  

It conjures up an image of real solitude and peace, just wonderful fairy. Rache