Thursday 3 July 2008

Having a breakdown :O(

 
This morning my pc monitor went kaput - black screen and no amount of rebooting helped.  I was totally thrown for a few minutes and even called a local repairman to see if he could instantly come out but he was ill.
After a few minutes I realised that what I thought at the outset was doubtless correct - the monitor had just packed up, I'd not caused it and I couldn't repair it.  I'm fortunate that I can go buy a new one and I did, I got a 19" Belnea from Staples for £99.99.  Getting it fixed up to my pc was a pain because it means lugging the desk out to get at the back and then there are all those sodding wires to deal with but I did it and voila the screen display was perfick.
Then I kept getting booted.  I pulled the desk out again and checked all the things pushed in the back (pardon the technospeak here), checked my phone line and filter were properly plugged in but I eventually went to Live Help.  Who were not actually awfully helpful apart from telling me there is no server problem.  So I went to the Tech boards and yes, someone else was having exactly the same problem with being booted off aol.  Now however, a couple of hours later all seems well.
 
The thing is my tummy is still churning 6 hours later, couldn't eat any lunch, and I'm as anxious as hell in case my husband can't fulfill his contract and submit his work when he gets home tomorrow.  I've already worked out that he can simply stick his document on his key fob thing and pop along the road to an online neighbour and send it on from there, but this anxiety just won't go away.
 
I've had this sort of thing before when I was much younger but it was usually associated with money worries or washing machine breakdowns and therefore rational.  This now seems irrational - there was a hardware problem and I sorted it, there was a software problem but now it seems ok and in any event I have a good fallback plan.  So why am I still so bloody anxious, what's up with me?
 
Polite answers on a postcard please :O)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear.

Do what any sensible person does - buy an iMac. You only need the mains cable and the internet connection, two cables, that's all. The keyboard and mouse are bluetooth.
It has built in stereo & speakers, microphone and a fantastic colour camera, plus all the software you are likely to need. Because it has Intel processors, you can run 2 operating systems. Iv'e got Apple Leopard and a partition for Windows XP. The latter lets me keep software that is only available in Windows.
Microsoft Office is available for the Mac as well.

Once you have used one, you'll wonder why you ever used pc. Let me know if you want info.

BTW, AOL is BETTER for non-members, I think that says a lot...
BTW, What is spam and malware? :O)


Frank


Anonymous said...

Yes I favved Rattler pon my nude favs imediate.

Aside my office I poot in a comfort way.  No sitting at a desk..I (so useful these slim LCD monitors_
I plonk the small Dell (as samll as a laptop more or less) on a coffee table at the side of the settee..then plonk the monitor  pon the poot...I have an optic mouse which whizes over my(in  foetal position) knee and the keyboard rest pon other side of knee and arm of the settee,,,It takes the formality out of pooting.

Screen a sod on laptops they ever  going  they threat with going pink..then all the alt  f4's  no good...

One of my brothers is obsessed with his poot  it seems to be his lifeline and I seem to be his IT  miracle worker..he phones me early in the morning in a voice that prepares one for anothers ail or demise only to be  his fidgety fingers on mending what aint effin broke.  BUT he gets well stressed poot wise.

Ebay has hahahah tempted me to four Dell lil poots  this is why I am pootlonely
Visitors look at my study set up...all as it should be then they look at this cosy set up and think I near the time for a mental institute.   Ahh I have email..you have sent me some links  Yo am a good gal at times XXX+