Wednesday 9 January 2008

Grrrrrrrrrr, men!

We have an area of the house which was originally 3 rooms but with walls taken down is now quite a sizable L shaped space comprising kitchen area, dining 'room' and a daytime sitting room. The Christmas tree which stood in the bay window of the sitting room space was dismantled on Sunday before we went to Evensong.  All well and good, and the space looked nicely clear and clutter free.
On Monday when I began to clean the bay windows I noticed that the window frame itself was in dire need of a good clean too.  Having washed it with sugar soap and rinsed off and then cleaned the windows I realised how it showed up the other 5 windows, french doors and courtyard door, so I washed, rinsed and polished all those too.
Then I noticed how where the sugar soap cloth had rubbed the painted walls alongside the windows, the colour looked so much brighter, so on Tuesday I washed the walls.  Then, having seen them close up I realised how mucky the ceilings were, so I sugar soaped them too.  We are talking a hell of a lot of step climbing and cloths rinsing here.
This morning it struck me forcefully how grungy all the kitchen units looked against my pristine walls so I gave them a really good clean, and while my nose was near the floor I saw that the sugar soap drips from washing the ceilings had left mucky looking grey marks, so this afternoon I washed all the flooring - parquet and terracotta tiling.  While I was on my hands and knees I noticed how grossly filthy the legs of the painted table and chairs were - little kids, dog & cat rubbings, jam, porage etc so sugar soaped and rinsed them too. 
 
Looking at the newly washed parquet - with eyes that won't focus properly to enable him to help with the "close up" work of cleaning anything - my husband mused whether, you know Jane, I rather think this wood really needs another oiling.
 
Tomorrow, when I've oiled the parquet I'm going to grease the stairs too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chortle................

Anonymous said...

Oh my word................congratulations, wanna come round and do mine?