Tuesday 29 January 2008

Gimme the damn needle and I'll do it myself!!!

I have a very painful joint at the base of my left hand thumb.  I can't hold things firmly if it means using that thumb, so undoing jars is out, and I can't hold very small or thin things at all, so picking up a sheet of paper or a pin with my left hand is hopeless.  It often hurts even when I'm not trying to use it, when I'm out on a walk for instance, and holding the steering wheel or Felix's hand can be a torment so on the whole it aint much fun.

My GP has referred me to my local 'Advanced Primary Care Service' to have a cortisone injection.  This isn't a consultant, or even a proper hozzie appointment, it's a group of ordinary GPs who do this on the side.  He actually referred me in December, today they sent me an initial appointment for March 22nd.  When I asked them for the NHS target from initial appointment to treatment I was told 18 weeks. (For a simple jab !!!)

So that's going to be another few hundred quid going to Nuffield.  Whose hands is the NHS safe in??

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the cortisone injection ,hope you can get back to doing those simple things we take for granted, until we cant do them anymore ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced the NHS is involved in a big con to get us to pay for private treatment.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

It's a good job beer tins have ring pull tops then.  :O)