Sunday 28 October 2007

Remedy to hurt feelings

In an answer to my earlier blog whinge Dear Agony Aunt, Stuart said:
you do it because it is the right thing to do
why should expect antything in return?
high moral ground
 
This set me thinking about how we decide an action is 'right'.  'Right' and 'Wrong' in this particular context carries a moral weighting - as Stuart implied in his reference to the high moral ground.  Is it then morally wrong to cease doing something which is normally reciprocal even in circumstances where there's no reciprocation or acknowledgement? 
I'm polite to strangers (unless they cut me up on the road) even tho I know for a fact that they'll never reciprocate because I wish strangers were more polite to me and because for all I know they may be a reincarnated Mother Theresa and I'll go to hell if I flick them off.  But mainly I'm polite to strangers because to be so is imo part of maintaining a sense of self-respect.  Whether they acknowledge my politeness or not doesn't affect my behaviour the next time because I don't want to be the sort of person who flicks stangers off for no reason.
But that's different to two-way personal relationships.  Aren't all two way relationships reciprocal, or if they aren't, are they actually two-way relationships at all?  Hmmm.
 
Stuart also said
nah don't like that
kneecap the bitch
 
That made me smile but I can't of course because I love her, and her father loves her.  And I love him more than I want to kneecap his eldest.   And at the end of the day that's why I'll keep on sending cards and gifts because her father's a typical man and if I left it to him she'd be the one ending up with hurt feelings.
 
I do of course know the answer to my dilemma.  I'm going to knit her a nice jumper in puce for her next birthday.  Size 20 <weg>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is nasty streak in you <weg>
of course we doi these things becuase we do unto others what we would like done to ourselves

Anonymous said...

Lolol at the jumper, that might spark a reaction.  I'd go with what you said that's it's your way to do these things without a thankyou.  It's nice to have one every 5 years or so :) but if it's not to be, then that's it! you still do what's in your character to do.  Rache

Anonymous said...

Now that jumper sounds ideal for a present the next time <ggg>