Friday 8 December 2006

Lilac time

 
I think I'm getting old.  My airing cupboard looks like a Benneton shop.  My glassware is all in the same cupboard and lined up by size.  I now have 2 pairs of slippers - some for bathtime and some for trekking out to the dustbin.  Most of my pockets contain a roll of extra strong mints.  My bedside drawer contains a tube of moisturizer for feet and a tube of KY I bought the same year that Wham split up.  Today someone told me that I'm very nice looking for my age.
The time may be very near for me to volunteer for the Church Flowers Rota.
Tomorrow I go out to buy something purple.
 
WARNING
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I dont own any thing purple ,quite fancy the railing thing though ...must get a stick ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

very droll!!