Friday 14 September 2007

No Sale

During our week in NYC we took the ferry to Staten Island to visit a shop famous among acoustic musicians the world over, Mandolin Brothers: MANDOLIN BROTHERS LTD Center of the Acoustic Universe!  The 30 minute ferry ride is absolutely free btw, so if you're ever in Manhattan, don't forget to get this view for no charge:  

Staten Island was a complete surprise, it was so suburban and leafy - hard to believe that it's one of the 5 New York boroughs.  Sadly as my hub had very specific requirements, ie for a (really) Vintage Vega open-backed 5 string banjo, he ended up buying nothing.  All in all it was a very inexpensive morning but he had a great time anyway, playing some of the world's most rare and expensive guitars and doing his nerdy music talk and jamming with the even nerdier but very friendly and welcoming staff. 

That evening I had a similar hugely enjoyable but abortive experience in Bergdorf Goodman's Fur department where, in absolute desperation, the suave gentleman hoping to sell me the latest fur trimmed mohair 'drape' ( Yankee for poncho type thing) said that in fact, if Madam decided to purchase, he would like my contact details in order to invite me back at Bergdorf Goodman's expense to model it at their pre-Christmas show as it suited me so well LOLOL.  If I could have afforded their fur I wouldn't have been interested in a free weekend trip!  As it was I got neither.  They really had nothing I could garden in anyways <gg>

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh your a cheap date lol  ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

well we could at least have seen a photo of the fur clad madam

Anonymous said...

....after straining my neck looking up at the buildings, you'd find me in the park :) it sounds wonderful.  I doubt if I'd ever sleep if I was there.

Just enjoy and savour it all.............give the sushi a miss though..........go fish one yourself instead, it's cheaper :)   Hope Gyp is ok. Rache

Anonymous said...

Nice view...I've only been to JFK airport and then flown out over manhattan on way to florida many moons ago when i was a teenager.